Weight Training For Men Over 50 | What You Need To Know
Weight training for men over 50 isn’t something one can blindly jump into without proper research. You need to follow a strict, efficient fitness program to maximize gains, boost fat loss, and of course, minimize the risk of injuries.
7 Important Tips on Weight Training for Men Over 50
1. Stick to Low-Volume, High-Rep Programs
One of the most important weight training for men over 5o tips is to stick to low-volume, high-rep programs. Aim for weights you can lift comfortably 15 to 20 times per set.
Yes, high-volume, low-rep sets can help one build a massive body like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Hulk Hogan. However, it’s also very dangerous.
2. Always Warm-Up and Cool-Down Properly
Never forego warm-up and cool-down exercises. These improve overall sporting performance, boost flexibility, reduce the risk of injury, and stimulate blood flow to various parts of the body.
3. Using Machines Isn’t a Sign of Weakness
Old school lifters will probably say that machines are for weaklings. They’re under the impression that true athletes will stick to free weights such as dumbbells and barbells. This is a very wrong and harmful way of thinking.
Machines exist to help guide the body along with the movements as you perform specific exercises. The added support helps improve posture and reduces the overall risk of getting injured. Machine exercises are definitely a must for strength training over 50.
4. Incorporate Mobility Drills Into Your Exercise Routine
Supplement your strength training program for over 50 with some mobility drills. These are great exercises that can boost strength, correct bad posture, and improve overall body flexibility.
5. Follow a Healthy Diet
You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. Trust us, no matter how hard you work out at the gym or on the track, it will all go to waste if you don’t feed your body the nutrients it needs.
When it comes to making bodybuilding over 50 diet plans, focus on consuming real foods. This means unprocessed, single-ingredient options. If you cannot understand or even pronounce the ingredients written on the nutrition facts label, ditch it.
Important: There are many fad diet plans on the internet. In fact, a quick Google search will already reveal hundreds of it. Stay away from them.
These fad diets are not sustainable. At your age, you should strive to build a healthy, nutrient-dense diet you can commit to for the coming decades.
6. Observe Proper Exercise Form
Don’t do any type of exercise without researching the proper form. Observing the correct workout form of any exercise is one of the simplest, most effective ways to prevent injuries.
7. Supplement Daily
For a lot of busy, working adults, it’s extremely hard to follow a nutrient-dense diet that contains all the essential vitamins and minerals the body needs. A good workaround is to use supplements instead.
Some supplements you might want to consider using include:
- Vitamin C: Taking vitamin C daily is a solid way to prevent catching diseases like the common cold or flu.
- Protein Supplements: Protein is an essential nutrient for muscle mass growth and recovery. Experts suggest taking around 1.2 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight daily.
- Vitamin B12: This vitamin plays an important role in energy production. Those who fail to consume enough vitamin B12 for prolonged periods of time may start to experience fatigue and tiredness.
- Creatine: Studies show that creatine is an important organic compound that helps stimulate fat loss, improve muscle power, and boost endurance.
Is weight training for men over 50 still safe? Generally speaking, yes. As long as you’re in good health and have no major injuries, there should be no reason why you can’t do resistance training.
Keep in mind, however, that these tips are no substitute for medical consultations. Consult with a medical professional so they can properly assess whether your body is physically capable of weight training and how intense your program can be.
Do you have any extra tips on weight training for men over 50? Share them with us in the comments section below!
- 13 Relaxation Tips to Reduce Stress
- The Benefits of Meditation
- 13 Anti Aging Foods To Add To Your Diet Now
Are you an advocate of feeling better, looking better, and living better and would love to contribute? WRITE for us!
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER TODAY