5 Easy Core Exercises for Seniors
Are there any safe, effective, and easy core exercises for seniors to do? Yes! There are many core-strengthening, tummy-toning workouts even those in their golden years can perform on a daily basis.
5 Easy Core Exercises for Seniors for Stronger, Leaner Abdominal Muscles
1. Standard Plank
- Get down on the ground and assume a push-up position. Your legs should be extended behind you, back straight, and core flexed.
- Then slowly drop your forearms on the floor. The elbow should be directly underneath the shoulders and the forearms flat on the ground.
- By this time, your forearms and toes should be supporting your entire body. This is the plank position.
- Hold the plank position for 30 seconds, rest, then repeat two more times for a total of three sets.
2. Bird Dog Core Exercise
Exclusive Offer From Our Editor: Thank God I found this before it was too late... Mike Tyson shares the secret to his miraculous comeback.
- Get down on all fours with your knees and palms planted firmly on the ground.
- The knees should be directly under the hips, palms under the shoulders, and back straight. This is the starting position.
- Then, slowly raise the left leg and right arm simultaneously. It should be as if you were kicking or reaching for something in the sky.
- Hold for one count then return to the starting position.
- Perform three to four sets of 12 to 16 reps per side.
3. Pulley Cable Oblique Twists
- Set up the cable pulley machine so the pulley is at the height of the shoulders.
- Attach a standard rope to it, grab the rope with both hands, and stand around one foot away from the machine. Either your left or right side should be facing the machine.
- Keeping your feet shoulder-width apart and firmly planted on the ground, slowly pull the rope to the side by twisting your upper body.
- Hold for one count then slowly return to the starting position.
- Do three to four sets of 13 to 16 reps on each side.
4. Stability Ball Dead Bug Core Exercise
- Grab a stability ball with both hands, lie down on your back, prop your legs up so the knees bend at 90 degrees, then press the stability ball against the knees for support.
- Your arms should be extended straight forward, legs hovering above the hips, and the stability balls should be sandwiched in between your palms and knees. This is the starting position.
- Take a deep breath then slowly extend your left arm and right leg as you exhale. They should go in opposite directions.
- Once they are fully extended, hold for one count then slowly return to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Do three to four sets of 20 reps per side.
5. Medicine Ball Woodchop
- Grab a medicine ball with both hands, squat down a bit, and let the medicine ball hang on the left side of the body. This is the starting position.
- Take a deep breath then push yourself up to a standing position while swinging the medicine ball up toward the right side of the head. Make sure to fully extend your arms.
- Pause for one count before carefully lowering the medicine ball back to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Do three to four sets of as many reps as you can on each side.
Are you ready to change your life with CBD but don’t know where to start? Click Here and Start Your Daily Routine the Green Roads Way.
Order Now & Tell Us Where to Send Your CBD Products!
Make sure to observe proper form at all times when exercising. No matter how old or young you are, poor workout forms are bound to lead to painful — and oftentimes expensive — injuries.
To maximize the effects of these easy core exercises for seniors, we highly recommend following a nutritious, well-balanced diet as well. Cut out unnecessary junk and replace them with healthy alternatives.
Have you tried any of these easy core exercises for seniors? Share your workout experience with us in the comments section below!
- Why Senior Golfers Should Strength Train
- 13 Anti Aging Foods for Seniors
- 12 Conditioning Exercises for Bad Knees
Join the healthy living conversation with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. We want to hear your story—let’s connect via these channels. Find our community online and join the healthy living revolution today!
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER TODAY